Tuesday, February 18, 2014

My Top Six Search Engines

This week assignment I was asked to give six search engines that I thought were helpful. I honestly thought this would be an easy assignment. However, what I did not realize there were many search engines for various reasons. Luckily, I was able to narrow my search down and give to you my top six search engines that I thought would be beneficial for people to use.
1.Yahoo. This is one of my favorite search engines. Yahoo.com is not only a search engines it is a great study tool for both teachers and students. One thing that I enjoy about yahoo is that you can ask questions in yahoo questions. This areas allows anyone to ask homework questions in any field of study. Also in yahoo you can view anything from movies, news and email.
2.Rate my professor.com is a search engine that is a useful source for college students in which you trying to decide what professors to take for the up and coming semester. In my opinion, this is the website that college students will be the most honest about professors. If you are new to a school or just attend a large university, this website will give you an insight at to which teachers are hard and easy. The only downfall is that not every university is on the website, Also, if your university is on the website check and make sure the professor you need an opinion on is on the website.
3. Wolfram Alpha. Wolfram Alpha is a computational knowledge engine. In my opinion, Wolfram Alpha is a great search engine for anything that deals with math or math related subjects. It gives search engines for other educational purposes as well. For example I typed in Robert Hooke, Wolfram Alpha gave me his date of birth time of death and other interesting facts about Hooke. I like this website because it gives you the information and not links to websites so you can search for them.
4.Monster.com. Monster is a job search engine. It allows you to find jobs in your local area as well as out of town job positions. One unique thing about Monster is that you can upload your resume and it can automatically fill in the job application for you. The good thing about Monster is that companies will post their applications on this website first before going to any newspaper. Why make looking for a job hard when all you have to do is go to monster.com.
5. KidRex.org. KidRex is a children safe search engine. As a future teacher, I would recommend students K-12 to use this search engine. It only gives children information that is being searched that is typed in the search engine. Parents will feel safe with their children using this search engine.
6. Ask.com. Ask is a search engine that is pretty much self-explanatory. You can ask a question and it will give you various links that will help you solve your question. The good thing about Ask is that you can even submit a question and real people will give you an answer.

2 comments:

  1. I liked how you included search engines which were not necessarily used only for educational research, but for other useful information such as Monster and Rate My Professor. Which ones of these engines have you had experience using prior to this assignment, and which ones, if any, do you use on a regular basis? I have only briefly used the Wolfram Alpha for this assignment, but found it interesting since the answers provided are generated from a database and require no additional searches to arrive at an answer. Also, out of the search engines you researched, did you discover a new favorite?

    ReplyDelete
  2. "This areas allows…" area (at least I think that is the appropriate noun), not areas. Still awkward. Think about another way to write this.

    "...which teachers are hard and easy." Why should that matter? Isn't it more important to know which teachers are more successful in stimulating and encouraging real learning? If that can be determined for anonymous student entries!

    "Why make looking for a job easy when all you have to do is go to monster.com." I do not understand this sentence in the context in which it appears. What were you trying to say?

    Angel Wilson's questions are very pertinent and should be responded to by you.

    "It only gives children information that is being searched." Exactly what do you mean by this?

    Rather concise.

    ReplyDelete