Tuesday, April 15, 2014

What I Learned from Mr. Capps

Mr. Capps and Dr. Strange talking via web camera.

When I was first introduced to Mr. Capps I was really impressed with what he has done with Project Based Learning. Recently, he spoke with Dr. Strange and answered questions dealing with PBL. Overall, I have learned a lot of things listening to Mr. Capps. When it comes to incorporating PBL it really is a process. I realized in order for Mobile County School Systems to move forward, like Baldwin County, there first need to be volunteers. I believe that as teachers must act as a team in order to accomplish this goal. We must realize that at the end of the day, PBL is benefiting the students. It is our responsibility to give our students the tools in order to become successful citizens.

I also learned from Mr. Capps that PBL should not only incorporate the child but also the parents. I believe the parents should play a big part in their child/children learning experience. As a future teacher I want to incorporate PBL in my classroom. I would also allow other teachers to shadow my classroom and become inspired by ideas. It only takes just a few teachers to make a change occur. I will also use various ways to contact parents to tell them about the various things that the students are doing with PBL. Like Mr. Capps I would like to hold meetings during various times of the school year about the new things I learned about PBL. I am aware that every parent is different however, every parent wants their child to become successful.

Overall, I know that I will not become perfect with PBL right away. Like Mr. Capps mentioned, it takes some time to get adjusted both for a teacher and students. There are various ways to do PBL and as a teacher I will introduce these techniques to my students. In the end I know that students will learn how to solve world issues and learn how to work with various. My goal as a teacher is for my students to learn without realizing they are learning. We, as teachers should want our students to love coming to school. Mr. Capps has taught me that we should never be hesitant about trying new teaching methods. Technology is the key to unlocking the doors of education.

2 comments:

  1. "It only takes just a few teachers to make a change occur." Perhaps to get it started. Eventually leadership must come from the top and the bottom!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi T'Keyan, I've got TEACHING DIGITAL NATIVES fresh on the brain, so my comment will reflect that. :) As I read the part of the book that discussed "assessing parents," I was thinking about how could I really get the idea of PBL (partnering) across to parents and make them understand it's value. Then I had a great idea! (Well, I think it's great.)

    Near the beginning of the year during the open house night, I would invite parents to participate in an old tell/question lesson. Then I would follow that with a guided question where I let them search for the answers. Hopefully, they would quickly see the BIG difference and begin to understand why I want to change my teaching methods to the "partnering" style. Great post, and maybe you'll like my idea for getting parents on board!

    ReplyDelete