Wednesday, April 23, 2014

What I Learned From These Videos

The assignment this week was to watch various videos on different styles of learning. When I watched these videos the one thing I took away was that critical thinking questions are important in today’s classrooms. I also learned that teachers are going away from the traditional learning method. Since watching these videos I learned and gained information that I will use in my classrooms.

The first video I was required to watch was Mr. Brian Crosby. Mr. Crosby’s Project Based Learning was very inspiring. He grasped the student’s attention to learn without them realizing they are learning. One of my favorite projects he did with his fourth grade class was the “high hopes” attached to the hot air balloon along with the camera. Mr. Crosby has taught me that there are countless ideas that students can do with technology in the classroom. He took away testing and asked open ended questions in order see how students understood the subject. He showed me how technology allowed students to connect with other students and people around the world. As a result, the students were able to improve their communication skills. Mr. Crosby was also able to sharpen student’s critical thinking skills. I noticed with Mr. Crosby that he cared about all of his students and showed passion toward the subject. I learned from Mr. Crosby showed me that the future classroom is really centered on technology and how students are benefiting around project based learning.

Mr. Anderson

The next person I was assigned to was Paul Andersen. Mr. Andersen conducted another type of teaching method called Blended Learning Cycle. Mr. Anderson blended learning cycle consists of five steps: Question, Investigation, Video, Elaboration, Review. I like this method of teaching. It helps incorporate independent learning along with project based learning. The one thing I like about this learning style was that he does not allow his students to proceed on to the quiz until they understand the review. The summary quiz, in my opinion, is a great idea. It allows the teacher to see the students’ progress. Overall, the blended learning cycle allows the teacher to be more hands on with the students but also allows the students to use critical thinking and working independently.

The third person I watched was Sam Pane. Mr. Pane allowed his students to create a comic book hero. This was very exciting to see students use technology in the classroom. The assignment allowed students to use dialogues and use their creative imaginations to come up with a story about internet safety. Overall, the students used technology to help meet the objectives of the English class and also made students understand the use of internet safety. What I learned from Mr. Pane was that he asked open ended questions to his students. The open ended questions and the group discussions allowed students to get their creative minds thinking. Mr. Pane showed me various ways that you can ask open ended questions and allow group discussions with students. He also allowed students to peer review other students work. His showed me another example as to how to incorporate project based learning.

The fourth video I watched was Mark Church. Mr. Church did his video on Making Thinking Visible. He allowed his students to work in small groups and challenged them with an open ended question. He showed how working in groups and allowing students to use their critical thinking skills are successful. Mr. Church showed his students a video and then applied critical thinking skills toward the video. This video showed me that open ended questions are an important concept in any lesson.

Mr. Shareski

The fifth video I watched was Dean Shareski from Canada. This video showed me a different prospective in project based learning. Project Based Learning helps incorporate real world based situations in the classroom. This class in Canada incorporated three teachers in one classroom. They showed how you can blend History, English and technology into one semester long class. This classroom blending is a great idea. It shows students that you can place real world situations into classroom subjects. I would like to see classrooms in the United States try this idea.

Students learning

The last video I watch was on Roosevelt Elementary’s PBL Program. This elementary school showed how students benefited from PBL. The great thing about PBL is that students can use critical thinking skills apply them to real world situations. PBL allowed the students to get excited about school. In my opinion, starting in elementary school with PBL is a great idea. Allowing students receive it during the beginning stages of school they will benefit them overall as students.

1 comment:

  1. Thorough. Thoughtful. Well done.

    You can do it!

    Nominated for post of the week.

    ReplyDelete